Followers

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Current Events in the Classroom!!!!!

Using current events in the classroom is an amazing opportunity to teach a number of differentiated curriculum in the classroom. No matter what the age, current events can be brought into the classroom. The three sites that Dr. Smirnova had provided for us are amazing tools with fascinating ideas on how to incorporate current events in the classroom. Especially when it comes to social studies, you can almost always relate something in a newspaper today to something that has happened in the past. 
It teaches students to pay attention to their current world more. I teaches them to formulate ideas and opinions about what happens in our world today and in the past. It is educational. It can be fun. It makes social studies much more meaningful, powerful, integrative, active, value based, and challenging. There is a plethora of activities a teacher could create using current events! I am so happy I now have these as resources to refer to when planning for current events in my classroom. I will probably also have a current events corner somewhere in my room like on site suggests. 
Here are the links so you can see how many awesome ways you can incorporate current events in your day! I will try most of these whenever I feel I can fit them in!!!!
SS Scott Foresman textbook
the current events news in the elementary classroom
Free Technology For Teachers

No comments:

Post a Comment